iZombie
iZombie is a Television program that debuted in March of 2015. It is loosely based on a comic book series
from Vertigo Comics by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred. It is the story of a
Doctor becoming a zombie. In order for her to function she needs brains. This
leads her to become a coroner to have access to these brains. One side effect
of brain consumption is she is able to see the memories of the deceased as
visions. She uses these to solve crimes that the decedents witnessed. One
drawback is while the brains are in her system she exhibits personality traits
of the decedents. This is almost a crime procedural version of the original
concept. However, it works. They are doing a similar treatment to the Sandman
version of Lucifer which I have a bad feeling will not work. The original
source material was definitely not the crime procedural this show is, the main
character does not have the same name either. This show is a fresh spin on
zombies and the crime procedural. As of December 2015, the first season is
available on Netflix.
Mad Max: Fury
Road
2015 has seen several films returning to old film
franchises: Terminator, Jurassic
Park , Star Wars, and
James Bond. Surprisingly Mad Max: Fury
Road was one of the most successful in terms of
character development and story. Unlike the other film franchises, all of the
entries in this series were directed by the same director, George Miller. I
loved this film. Even in the quieter parts of it, it did not feel like it was dragging.
Miller kept the momentum and pace at of good level. He also knows these
characters and this world. With all the controversy about decent female leads
in Action films, this proves it is very possible. Even though Mad Max is the
title character, it is Furiosa’s tale. It also melded practical effects with
CGI in a seamless and spectacular manner.
Muse Drones
Muse is one of my favorite bands. In 2015, they released the
album Drones. I have listened to it multiple times. I loved it. Psycho and Dead
Inside were the first two songs I became acquainted with. With those, Mercy,
the Globalist, and Aftermath are among my favorites on this album. My favorite
Muse albums are still Black Holes & Revelations, and Resistance, however
this is still a decent album, and my favorite of the year.
Big-Ass Sandwiches Brick and Mortar Location
In 2015, Big-Ass Sandwiches in Portland Oregon
made the transition from food cart to brick and mortar restaurant. Their
signature sandwich is a sandwich with the French fries in the sandwich. By going
to brick and mortar, they were able to expand they menu. Now they offer
Regular-Ass Sandwiches (sandwiches with the fries on the side) and Cold-Ass
Sandwiches (sandwiches using all refrigerated or room temperature
ingredients). They offer two
non-sandwich items, Brian’s Meaty Balls (their meat balls with pasta) and
Homemade Mac and Cheese. I have been to the location a few times since its
opening in June. The food is still amazing. They have vinegar based coleslaw
that inspired me to do the same. I have always suggested people go with the
weekly special that has not changed. With the menu expansion the special are no
longer limited to sandwiches. I loved this place back in the food cart days and
still love it in the brick and mortar.
Bitch Planet
Technically the first issue came out in 2014. It came out in
December, I rarely think something is the best just based on the first issue. I
did not read it till after January
1st, 2015 . For me, it is new for the year. A tale set in
the future where all the progress in equal rights for women has been reversed
to worse than it was before. Women who refuse to follow society’s demands of
inequality are sent to prison for being non-compliant. It is written in the
vein of the women in prison films and shows from the 1970’s. Kelly Sue
DeConnick has written an angry treatise about the anti-women attitude in
geek/nerd culture and in our society at large. She uses a dystopian future
similar to the one seen in A Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. It is a
wonderful look at where we could go if we are not careful.
Raven and the Writing Desk
I have been a fan of Chris Lester’s Metamor City Podcast. It
was full cast audio dramas of his work all set in his Metamor City
setting. That went on indefinite hiatus in 2011. He returned with a new Podcast
Raven and the Writing Desk. This time it is his narrations of his stories
including a few in non-Metamor City settings. Metamor City
is what if a fantasy setting evolved into a world similar to ours. That is what
you have with Metamor
City . Chris Lester’s
podcast also includes updates on his writing progress, public appearances,
interviews with those in the Podcast fiction and self publishing world, and so
on. I am glad he is back and he is even publishing his works again in E-Book
format. It is well worth the time.
Best-Ever Cookbook by Bay Books (2007)
This book was published in 2007 and I have owned it for over
5 years. I never cooked from it till 2015, hence why it is here. So far there
is not a single dud in the recipes.
Every dish I make I put in my culinary repertoire. These are also
simplified version of classic recipes found throughout the world. I have found more traditional versions of the
dishes and I am more the likely to try those, now that I have found the
versions in this cookbook. The top two I have enjoyed are the Sweet Pork and
the Madras Beef. I also made Lemongrass
Beef and the Asparagus & Mushroom Salad. Will I make all 500 in this
cookbook? Probably not.
In Ashes Born by Nathan Lowell
I have not hidden my love of Nathan Lowell’s writing. I was
introduced to his work through Podiobooks, in which the author read his own
work. The first series was Trader’s Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar
Clipper series. The series followed Ishmael Wang (pronounced with the long A
sound, like Wong) a young man who found himself without family or a planet to
live on. He became a merchant spacer on a merchant space freighter. The series
followed Ishmael from mess attendant to the Owner of his own space ship and
hauling company. This book is the first in the Seeker’s Tales from the Golden
Age of the Solar Clipper. It follows Ishmael on his new journey. I loved it.
Characters we had not seen since the earliest books of the first series return.
The first series is leaving Podiobooks, find it and download it if you can. All
of the books are available on Amazon in their Kindle store.
Heroes: Reborn
I am and have been a big fan of the Television program
Heroes. I know that the later seasons were not as strong as the earlier ones,
and they had some serious dropped plot threads. I still enjoyed the show, heck
I still own it. When I heard they were going to air a sequel min-series, I was
seriously intrigued. Personally I have not been disappointed by the new series.
Certain characters have not returned, but the new story is engaging and a fun
ride. HRG (Horned Rimmed Glasses) is back and so are many of the favorites.
This new series had done some interesting things with the concepts of time
travel and constructs. If you enjoyed the original, give the new one a try.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
I liked the new Star Trek Movies, but they did not feel like
Star Trek to me. This film felt like the original Star Wars trilogy. I loved
it, but I do think the Director, did his usual shtick. That is in a derivate
work he harkened back too much to the source material. It was wonder to see
those touches, but it did seem like blatant fan service to me. Despite this, I
still think it is a wonderful movie. It was dissimilar to Star Wars: The New
Hope enough to make it enjoyable. There were twists and turns, expected laughs
and thrills as well as the unexpected. It was great and definitely and
infinitely superior to the prequels, which in and of itself is satisfying.
No comments:
Post a Comment