December and January were tough months for me. On January 29, 2106, I was weighed at my
dietitian’s office. I ended up at 370 lbs. I struggled with dietary choices and
keeping up my exercise regimen. Part of it was holiday indulgences. With my
weight goal from a total weight loss of 50 lbs by January changed to 50 lbs
total weight loss by April, things seemed more possible. My depression was also
affecting my choices. Compared to a year ago it was still a marked improvement.
In January 2016, I did not eat as much fruit or vegetables,
I also had a tooth pulled and had to lighten my physical excursion to minimal
for almost a week. In February and March 2016, I increased my vegetables. I
worked my best to add vegetables to every dish. With my daily yogurt, banana,
and fruit smoothies I had fruit under wraps. To help with my digestive heath, I
added chia seeds and flaxseeds to my smoothies.
I tried several new vegetables, in February 2016
(calabacitas/Mexican zucchini, and piquillo peppers) and in March 2016
(chayote/Latin American squash, and taro leaves). I chose Cuban style yellow
rice over Puerto Rican Style. Puerto Rican yellow rice had rice, seasoning and
annatto oil. Cuban yellow rice had garlic, onion, peas, and red bell peppers. I
was choosing dishes with more vegetable matter than those without.
I have limited how much potato chips I eat. In January I
made nachos and used pre-made chips instead of making my own. As a holiday gift
I received some Omaha
steaks. Those probably did not help. I did increase my seafood intake. In
December2015, I had my stocking stuffers (canned octopus, sardines, and
oysters), tonnato sauce (tuna, anchovies, lemon juice, olive oil, and capers)
with cucumber noodles, and my monthly sushi. In January 2016, I made California
roll nachos and had my monthly sushi.
In February 2016, I started making bagels and lox (cold
smoked salmon) sandwiches and added shrimp to my family’s 7 layer salad recipe.
In March 2016, I made inarizushi with shrimp, avocados, and spicy Japanese
mayo. In April 2016, mom, who was visiting, bought some paiche. It is an
Amazonian freshwater fish. It is huge, meaty, and delicious. I made several
dishes with it.
The end of March 2016 and the beginning of April 2016 were
eventful for my health. I had tried to get a more consistent mental health
care. I had two choices the county and Lutheran Community Services. The county
for the initial mental health evaluations were daily but only a handful a day. They
were also first come first serve. With my depression getting up early to get
there was difficult. The depression was causing me to experience insomnia. With
open ended appointments, I fell victim to procrastination. I do better when
told to show up at a specific time and date. I decided to go with Lutheran
Community Services.
The end of March 2016, I got my mental health evaluation. I
finally got a diagnosis. I suffer from severe depressive disorder and general
anxiety disorder. I am getting treatment. I am on a waiting list to see the
clinician for pharmaceutical treatment. That is still better than what I had
last year with no possibility of that kind of therapy. I have had tons of
support from friends and acquaintances about my diagnoses and work to get
treatment. I am currently looking to apply for disability in order to get out
of my living situation. My depression, anxiety, and insomnia are making my job
search difficult. I am not looking into permanent disability, just long enough
to get me out of my situation and on the road to mental health.
At the end of 2015, I was encountering localized sourness on
the left side of my chest. I had this happen in 2002. It turned out to be gynecomastia.
This is the development of breast tissue in men. The first occurrence was due
to medicine. I had another mammogram done in April 2016. I was clear of cancer.
1% of all breast cancer cases are men, so if you find a mass or have localized
soreness, get it checked. I am very embarrassed by my gynecomastia. My ex was
brutal in emasculating me about it. Now instead on being unilateral, it is
bilateral, meaning I am no longer one sided. I would rather have my diagnosis
than breast cancer.
In January 2016, I had my broken molar removed. I followed
the directions to the letter and was able to avoid dry socket. The previous
pulled tooth resulted in dry socket. I also had my problem wisdom tooth removed
at the end of March 2016. I once again avoided dry socket like I did in
January. It was not as painful as I had thought it would be. I think it having
a cavity made it easier to remove. My jaw was sore and I had a dull ache for
weeks. With my problem teeth removed, I should be doing better with eating. With
the two problem teeth gone, I have any possible cavities left to deal with. My
dental health is much better.
I was supposed to see my dietitian at the end of March 2016.
She is no longer working for the hospital where her office was located when I
saw her. I found out the day of the appointment. The hospital somehow did not
inform me of the change that occurred two weeks earlier. This made me feel
depressed. I backslid and ate three Hershey’s Whatchamacallits. The three candy
bars in a sitting made me sick. I no longer can eat like I used to.
At the end of March, I was weighed by my primary care
physician. I came in at 363 lbs. I was 13 lbs short of my yearly goal. Still I
was able to lose and keep off 37 lbs. My goal weight for April 2017 continues
to be 300 lbs. I had my ups and downs. I have had my lapses in following my
dietary regimen lately. Overall, I have made to serious long lasting life
choices. I am working on getting back to the better choices.
No comments:
Post a Comment