As stated, before I grew up open to many different
foods. I was very lucky that my parents
were adventurous with food. My mom
learned how to make her own flour tortillas.
She did this because with us on a wheat free diet she could not use the
tortillas from the store. She baked
homemade bread too. She had found a four
that had additives, the natural kind not chemical, that made us able to
tolerate wheat. This was only with that
particular flour mixture. In a way I was
spoiled. I saw my mom experiment to find
ways around our dietary restrictions. I was also discovered to have a
sensitivity to cane sugar, so honey and real pure maple syrup were used as
replacements. At this time my mom was
the den mother for my Cub Scout pack. She
tried to introduce what we ate to the neighborhood. It did not go over
well. I was teased by some of the kids
for her food. Thanks to mom I do not
care for most cake frosting or cheap ice creams. I find them to sickeningly sweet.
Another uncommon thing we had in my family was our Christmas
tradition for stocking stuffers. Mom
would not buy store bought candy and if she did it was a very limited
amount. Our stocking had some
interesting stuffers in them: canned sardines, canned mussels, canned clams,
canned oysters, canned baby octopus, dried fruit, pomegranates, cuttlefish or
squid jerky, nuts of all kinds (pistachios were only bought during the
holiday), and oranges. Today I prefer
those, cheese, chips, jerky and hummus as snacks. I also prefer unsweetened peanut butter,
especially with apples.
Over the years I learned a few tricks. A Mexican restaurant in Woodland , WA
had an interesting version of hot wings.
They glazed them in jalapeno jelly.
It took that idea and baked boneless pork in jalapeno jelly as a dish I
worked with. When I worked in pizza
place for 4 or 5 years I had discover linguica.
Linguica is a Portuguese sausage that is used as a pizza topping in some
places. I used to order a pizza with linguica,
bay shrimp (the little canned ones), and cheddar cheese. A favorite restaurant of mine in my twenties
was a place that fused Latin American food, Caribbean food and East Asian
food. One of these days, I should try to
re-create their Mexican Chocolate cheesecake.
That place introduced me to many Caribbean
and South American dishes. Previously in
university I found a place that served dishes fro various Latin American
cuisines. That place was where I was
introduced to Tortilla Espanola, which is an egg and potato dish.
Due to the circumstances of my life with Barbara a lot of
these things went away. Part of my
healing has been reconnecting to old traditions, like sushi and anime night or
the pizza I mentioned earlier. To some
folks a great deal of what I ate could be considered weird or unusual. My response to that is yes, I am those things
too. Also you can see my atypical food
habits made me open to so many possibilities.
I will try most things once. I
hate to waste food. Right now due to
living arrangements cooking is difficult.
I cannot wait until that changes and the possibilities are endless
culinarily as well. That Is My Not So
Humble Opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment