In 1980, my family was living on Adak , Alaska . At the time it was a military base. When Empire Strikes Back came to the island,
everyone was at that theater watching.
In order to handle the demand they had multiple showings and even did
Weekday and night showings. It like its
predecessor shocked and amazed me. At
the time the special effects were something we really had not seen the
like. Once again we bought the toys,
hell we had a Star wars slot car set. I
made my own Tie Fighter and X-Wing Fighter Models, well I assembled them. They were the glue kind previously I only had
the snap on types. I was blown away be
the images again. Lucas used a great
deal of Japanese influences to the wardrobe and production design to
movies.
In 1983 I was 15; we were back in Oxnard California . Return of the Jedi came out and was played at
the Ventura Theater in Ventura ,
California . The Ventura
went through a major renovation. It
tried to hearken to the days it was a Movie Palace
in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Not only was
it a great film it was in an amazing theater.
This was also the first time I realized I was no longer the target audience
of the film. The Ewoks, I did not care
for them I knew they were fodder for the younger crowd. Even my 12 year old brother did not care for
them. This was supposed to be a family
movie so, I let it go. Once again I was spellbound by the scope, the effects
and the production design.
During the hiatus between the original series and the
prequels, I did not really get into any of the Expanded Universe Novels or
comics. I was a young adult in my
twenties when they started to arrive. I
was not that interested. To be fair I
was not into the Novels for Star Trek either.
I tried to play the Star Wars table top RPG from West End Games. It was not for me. Star Wars informed my creativity, but it was
never the big thing for me. When the
prequels came out I was in my thirties.
The first one definitely was geared for a younger crowd. I was not it; I still understood where they
were coming from. The next two were
good. I felt disconnected from Star Wars
by this time. Mind you, my brother,
Mike, loved Star Wars. He was more the
Star Wars guy than the Star Trek Guy. I
was the opposite. We work that way. This just was not my Science Fiction franchise. I do not hate Star Wars, I love it. I have my issues with certain tenants in Jedi
Philosophy. It is just not the one that
permeates my every fiber. I am not sure
if there is something that does that completely for me. That Is My Not So Humble Opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment