My Journey with comics goes way back. I remember as a little kid seeing them at the
hospital Playroom or My Uncle Bob’s stash.
My Uncle Bob is eight years my senior and he loved horror comics. My Aunt and her first husband had a decent
collection of Legion of Superheroes.
These two influences got me interested in comics. In the Seventies Mr.
Rogers agreed with a study that said Kids watching or reading Superheroes
exploits reinforce violent solutions to conflict. My Mom agreed so at the age of 8, I was
forbidden from Superhero comics. I was
allowed Hanna-Barbera, Harvey ,
Archie and the like. I was 8 and these
were for babies to me. I wanted the
Superheroes I saw on TV, Batman, Superman, Hulk, Flash, Shazam, Hawkman,
Spider-man and etc. I would browse them
every chance I could when I would find a spinner rack.
I was still stuck
with the funny books, until I was 10. We
had moved to Adak , Alaska .
My Dad was part of the base’s Public Works department and was assigned
to refuse control. In the military when
you move you are only allowed a certain weight allowance. So when folks would move they would leave
large amounts of good stuff. One day my
dad came back with a Large Green Plastic Trash bag full of Comics. Not just Funny books, there were horror,
SciFi, and Superheroes books in there.
They were mostly DC, Marvel and Gold Key. It was then that I discovered I preferred the
DC characters to their Marvel Counterparts.
Thanks to copies of Adventure comics and the Death of Earth-2 Batman
story starring the Justice Society of America , I loved the alternate
worlds DC did. They had their multiple
earths. As a 10 year old, I was able to
keep up with everything and knew the differences between the various earths. Those comics plus the Mirror, Mirror episode
of Star Trek started me on my love of Alternate World/ History Literature. When we moved they stayed.
It was not until 1982, when I was 14 that I came back to
comics. This time it went big. It started with two books, The Official
Handbook of the Marvel Universe and Who’s Who in the DC Universe. They were Encyclopedias of Superheroes. Much of my geeky comic book knowledge can be
blamed on those two books. I had various
jobs I did, so I had spending money. If
I had money I wanted comics. After those
I got into Uncanny X-Men and New Teen Titans.
A friend of a friend lent a friend mine a run of X-men starting with
Giant-Size Uncanny X-Men #1. I then found Ralph’s Comics Corner in Ventura , California
and bought my run of New Teen Titans.
These two series were great and I loved them. Ralph’s was my first comic shop. Originally he was located in a corner of a Thrift
Shop. In 1984, Ralph had his own
location. Then the first two Big Event
series came out Crisis on Infinite Earths and Secret Wars. All bets were off. I discovered Artists and writers: John Byrne,
Chris Claremont, Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Roy Thomas, Jerry Ordway, Paul
Smith, Bernie Wrightson, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Mark Bright, Roger Stern,
the Romitas and more.
At Pacific
University in Forest Grove , Oregon ,
my closest comic shop was Pegasus Fantasy in Beaverton .
That is the Predecessor to Things from Another World. I watched the Richardson Brothers launch Dark
Horse Comics. I still was stuck in Superhero
comics during this time. However this is
when things got interesting with Marvelman/ Miracleman, Watchmen, and the Dark
Knight Returns. This also was the DC
post-Crisis relaunch. During this time
the Mutants books started to multiply from just one title to many. I started noticing other comics companies
although I was still not buying them.
That all Changed in 1988.
I moved to Eugene , Oregon to study at University of Oregon . There is one of the best comic shops, at
least back then, in back stock I had ever found, Emerald City Comics. There I started helping out and was allowed
to read some of the back stock I would never have read before. I broadened my horizons, with stuff that was
not the big two: First Comics, Heavy Metal, Eclipse Comics, Fantigraphic Books,
Kitchen Sink Press, Comico, WaRP Graphics, Caliber Comics, Slave Labor
Graphics/ Amaze Ink and more I cannot think of.
During this time new creators that blew my mind were Neil Gaiman, Grant
Morrison, Matt Wagner, Bill Willingham, Mike Mignola, Mike Grell, Howard
Chaykin and Chuck Dixon. With titles like Sandman, Mage, and Baker Street , I began to see beyond the
Superhero genre and the possibilities.
In 1991, I left Eugene
and moved back to Dundee , Oregon .
I started buying more from non Big two publishers at this time with
Valiant Comics, Image Comics and Malibu Comics.
Marvel and DC tried to expand their readership with imprints like
Vertigo and Epic. Both of those imprints
were trying to step away from superheroes.
Marvel started reprinting work from Moebius and the Magna Series
Akira. After the Age of Apocalypse and
Zero Hour Events I had enough of comics.
I got out in 1995. I then got rid
all but a few treasured titles. I made a
colossal mistake in 1997; I sent those few titles to an online friend in Florida . Yes, folks I know, I was very stupid.
In 1999 I started to get back into comics, mostly thanks to
one creator: Warren Ellis. His Run on
StormWatch and Planetary made me think I could get back into comics. I dabbled before 1999, but I started
regularly reading again that year. I also found DC Comics Elseworlds
Imprint. It is an imprint of DC Comics
that does Alternate Reality tales of its classic superhero characters. It started back in the mid Nineties; I came
back after Elseworlds Finest. I became a
member of the WEF (Warren Ellis Forum).
Everything changed, I still read some Superhero book, but I wanted the
more interesting stuff. Image Comics,
CrossGen, Avatar Press, IDW, Oni Press, Top Shelf Productions, and Humanoids
Publishing were among publishers recommended on WEF. I discovered great creators during this
period: Garth Ennis, Larry Young, Greg Rucka, Brian Michael Bendis, Mark
Millar, Ian Edginton, Matt Fraction, Alejandro Jodorowsky and so many more. I
was sad when WEF went offline in 2002.
The experience gave me a whole new way at looking at comics. Superheroes were no longer the end all be
all. Even though I was getting there on
my own, The WEF gave me ideas where else to look.
I had been in a long term relationship during this
period. In 2009, I was having trouble
with keeping up with my reading versus my buying. Barbara, my partner at the time, allowed my
to buy my comics, but never gave me the chance to read them. In December of 2011 I left that relationship. I still had over 10 Diamond Distributing (the
comics distributing company) boxes full I had not read. I was overwhelmed. I had already at this point begun buying
comics digitally on Comixology. I
decided to get rid of all my Floppies (individual single comic issues) and kept
my Graphic Novels, Trade Paperbacks, Book Shelf Comics, Hardcover and
Collections. I have streamlined my life
and the way I buy my comics. I am still
trying to get caught up with books I own that I have yet to read. The number is not as overwhelming as it once
was. That is My Not So Humble Opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment