So I am a big fan of podcasts. This started when I got my first MP3 Player
in December of 2007. For the
uninitiated, a podcast is an audio or video show that is distributed via the
internet. Podcasts come in many formats,
dramas, audio literature (books and short stories), Talk shows, sketch shows,
comedies and many more. I can blame or
90% of my podcasts on two shows. Cort and Fatboy show here in Portland , it started out as a terrestrial
radio show. They started podcasting the
conversations that were going on off the air between the on air segments, they
are now a strictly internet based podcast.
The Other show was City of Heroes Podcast with Chooch and Vivid. They are a married couple that podcasted
their tips for the game.
Cort and Fatboy led to Geek in the City, Rick Emerson Show,
Chronicles of the Nerds, KA Podcast, Big and Loud Podcast, The Mediocre Show,
Funemployment Radio, Boy Howdy Podcast, Ham Fisted Radio, Portland Sucks,
Uni-Bash Radio, and more. They were my
introduction to the Portland Geek Community.
Thanks to them I have become involved in the greater Metropolitan
Portland, Oregon/Vancouver ,
WA area. I got involved with Geek Trivia, Listener
parties for the various shows, Midnight Movies, Geeklesque (geek themed
Burlesque by Critical Hit Burlesque), various local conventions (Wonder NW),
comic book release and signing parties, and many more local events. I have even been approached to help out with
Portland Geek Council of Commerce and Culture.
I have made friends; I have been given a pirate name, and created new
social connections I would have not made otherwise.
The City of Heroes
Podcast led me to Chooch and Viv’s other show Into the
Blender. They had various promos that
led me to various Podcast Dramas, Podcast Novels, and Podiobooks. The Podcast
writers, sites and shows that they led me to are: Podiobooks.com, Philippa Ballantine, Tee
Morris, Nathan Lowell, Christiana Ellis, P.G. Holyfield, Scott Sigler, Matthew
Wayne Selznick, Mur Lafferty, Jared Axelrod, J.R. Blackwell, J. Daniel Sawyer,
A.P. Stephens, Basil Sands, Bill DeSmedt, Drew Beatty, Steve Saylor, Prometheus
Radio Theater, Seth Harwood, Paulette Jaxton, Brad Gamblin, Patrick McLean,
Phil Rossi , Tuning into SciFi TV, Angle Between the Lines, Buffy Between the
Lines, Mark Eller, Lindsay Buroker, M. Terry Green, Paul Elard Cooley, Abigail
Hilton, John Lenahan, Nobilis Reed and many more. Thanks to this show I was part of the City of
Heroes Podcast
community. I have not only discovered
new innovative writers and their works, I have been given ideas how to approach
my own writing career. I have made
friends here too. I have not met many of
the folks on this branch of my podcast community. I did get to meet Scott Sigler and some Portland area Junkies. They have me wanting to attend Balticon and
Dragon-con someday. I also feel the need
to try the local conventions I have missed, Rose City Comic-Con, OryCon, and
Stumptown Comic Con.
When I first was introduced to these, I was in a bad
relationship and bad work situation.
Both of those situations have improved since, I left the relationship
and changed bosses. All these shows and
folks gave me hope and something to aid me in dealing with life’s garbage. Not all of this will be for you, but there is
something for most people in these artists and shows. That is My Not so Humble Opinion.
[Author’s Note: Warning many of these podcasts are no longer
with us. Look for them, but many will be gone]
No comments:
Post a Comment